Sunday, October 7, 2012

Week Three

Well, countrymen and loved ones, it is the close of week three, counting of course, in the middle of the week. This week was much more ministry driven as I am getting used to the way things are. On Thursday, I went to Jinja Main, a prison here. I was picked up by some ministry workers from YWAM (Youth With A Mission). I was driven into Jinja, down close to the lake front past the water treatment plant. The air had a quite repulsive stench for miles around. Then we came to the entrance to the prison. A large overbearing green gate barred our way. I was with two African ladies, both representatives of YWAM Uganda. One, whom I have become good friends with since, is Judith, 24, the only woman I know who can pull off feminine dreadlocks. The other is her friend Mary, whom I have not seen since.
 As a true man of the South, I felt it my duty to protect these women from the inmates should I need to. Judith walked up and knocked on the gate.  A small circular slit opened and a voice spoke in Luganda to Judith. I was reminded of the opening scene from Return of the Jedi. Presently, the gate opened and I walked in to the dark of the entrance way, which was large and housed many guards. On forward of us is the main courtyard where prisoners in yellow suits ran, crowded and shouted. Drums echoed from deep in the prison. There were no guards inside the prison. After turning in everything in our pockets we entered. It was like being in a pit with three stories of prison cells rising up on all sides, dotted with yellow jackets hanging like flags.
 Prisoners jeered from above and clutched the bars of the overlook. As we entered the prison all inmates stop to look at the two women and the white boy. As we walked prisoners congested around us and a great crowd began following us. I lead the women (not knowing where I was going, but operating on luck and correction) to the third floor, with the drums getting louder each stairwell and corner we passed. We came to a corner of the third floor of the prison where Judith motioned me to a bench. The crowd of prisoners stopped and took seats against the wall. There were two large cowhide drums, the source of the foreboding music, and two amplifiers with microphones, which the prisoners had already set up. I had not been fully told what I was getting into and I was quite afraid.  I only knew that I had been given Judith’s number and given the option of joining in on a prison ministry and that I must encourage the prisoners. Then, I noticed a few of the prisoners had tattered Bibles and Judith was very well acquainted with the inmates. Within minutes we were all singing, jumping and worshiping Jesus in Luganda.  Judith spoke, in English, a message of encouragement and it was translated into Luganda, as did Mary and a few of the prisoners. Two hours later we exited and I felt so inspired by what Christ and His church has been accomplishing.
I purchased five Bibles (all the stores had) in Luganda for the prisoners and took them to Judith, as I will not be able to join the next two weeks. I will be in Kampala, the capital of Uganda at Come Let’s Dance School for Farming God's Way. There is no dancing involved, the name is a hand-me-down from the previous business. I have been back to the Village of Hope orphanage several times and have set up a listening group for Faith Comes by Hearing. I was intending the proclaimer to go to an adult group, but one of the children found it in my back pack and brought it to me. I played it for them and they keep asking me back. They have become so involved with the book of Revelation... I did not know that that was what they were listening to until they were a good ways into the story, as it plays in Luganda.
I have become confident in my navigation and public transportation, just took a few more times of getting lost :) none of which were on purpose. I have spent much time working inwardly on my life. I am confronted with the reality that the orphanage, the prison, the ministry initiatives are all just as needed back home. When I return I will pick up with the men and women, the organizations around there to do just as I am here, just I don’t need to learn a new language. I have been practicing many spiritual disciplines. Following along with Richard Foster’s text, The Celebration of Discipline, and Sir Thomas a Kempis's The Imitation of Christ, as well as, scriptural readings and meditations, I have felt God’s hand and His leading. I have seen Him work.
In events here at the Sperling house, Chris had gotten malaria, but had medicated himself quickly and was over it in three days. Please pray for Jane's father who is losing blood and yet, not bleeding. Jane has been so attentive and strong with the whole situation, as she travels and stays days in Kampala trying to work with the crazy hospital situation. The boys have started home school here with a lady from Canada named Chelsey.  We finished hooking the house completely to solar. Please continue to pray for me and for God’s will and direction to be taken. Pray that I may think His thoughts after Him and join Him where He is working. As well, pray that my fear leaves and I may take courage in myself. I am off to CLD tomorrow. I may be the only white person in 50 kilometers, says Chris.
.
In Christ,
 
David Greene
 

No comments:

Post a Comment