Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Murders of Mwera

Emma and Stephen wanted to go to Mwera to get a haircut, and I wanted to adjust my diet a little, so I asked to venture along. They said ‘yes’ and we started up the long dirt road to the village of Mwera next to the paved road leading to Nansana. We joked and became great friends. When we entered the town we noticed all of the shops were closed - every door, every hut, except one. We stopped there. Emma bought some airtime and learned that there had been a murder the night before. We ventured on and came to the Nansana road. Across the road from us were all the towns’ people gathered together. I saw there were police present and not wanting to be arrested for a bribe that I would not pay, I avoided the scene all together.  Emma went on ahead to listen to the meeting.
I was surprised at how many people lived in this one little town. Once the meeting ended Emma came back with the news. A girl had been killed in her sleep the previous night. She was a shopkeeper of the market and lived in the back of the shop. The shops are heavily guarded with bars between the customers and the merchandise and have the ability to close the shop with a metal door. There are no windows, and I do not know if a back door is present. In fact, now that I think on it there are some I do not remember ever seeing a door on at all, but I never ventured around to the back of the shops. The murderer had chloroformed the room, and had dug out the side of the house, removing bricks to enter, and then he slit the girl’s throat raising her head in such a way as to collect the blood running down her natural body cavities into a jerry can. The murderer then left a stick of sugar cane on the dead girl’s bed and exited.
 I bought the men a chapatti each and a soda, and Emma and I played pool at a bar while Stephen got a haircut. Then I waited outside the shop while Emma got his hair cut. As it was getting dark we could not play another round of pool. I talked with a Muslim man for a bit, when he asked me “Do you hate us?” referring to the fact that I am a Christian and he is a Muslim. “No, no that would be ridiculous.” I replied, we are not encouraged to hate, but to love. The verse of Christ saying” love your enemies” was on its way out when I realized that implied we were enemies. I was in a tender situation, but my answer had brought a smile to the man’s face and he jumped up to attend to the next customer now entering the barber shop. I waited there, then Emma was finished and I waved goodbye to the man and we headed off, racing the last rays of the sun.
The next night at devotional after much singing and praising of Jesus’ name, Josh, the manager, took charge of the devotional. He told of how he saw the young girl’s face. He had carried her out of her house himself. He ended with a warning against fear, and he prayed against the dark forces and for the capture of the murderer.
The next time I went to Mwera a few days later we, Emma, Stephen and I, passed a house with a large crowd around the open door. Men were working on the house. I assumed it was a construction project and I paid it no mind, but my companions lingered to hear the news - a second girl murdered in the exact same way, her blood stolen from her corpse, the sugar cane on the bed and the removed bricks.  (I would have you note this is the last concrete evidence I have to tell you, the rest of the information has come through from the manager, the town’s people and Chris.) Church that Sunday addressed the fear issue among the citizens of the town. An excitable man in a mustard-colored Dwight Shrute shirt stood up and spoke in Luganda, his head charging forward dragging his torso and with tugging on his thighs at the end of every shouted sentence, with wild hand gestures above his head. He, as it was translated to me, addressed the fact that the inhabitants had started to double up in housing. His advice was to trust in the Lord, for protection and not to fear evil. “Greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.” comes to mind, even if it was not spoken. This was the end of the first week.
The blood was drained for the purpose of black magic. I am unfamiliar of the practices and hope to remain so; but animal blood is used in consecrating a new field or house in that region. I was told by Joseph that those wealthy enough would buy children and babies from the desperate to kill and use the blood for the same purpose (I cannot attest to the truth of this, although children do get kidnaped often.)
The Witch hunt
I was awakened by Joseph, who was very excited to tell me the news. “They have killed the murderer!” said Joseph. He was neither happy nor sad, only excited to spread the news. “They have the body in Mwera.” But to this he was corrected by the manager, “No, it is in...”  I could not remember the town, only that it was a long way in a place I never went to. News came a few days later that the town’s people had killed another murderer. With only two crimes both exactly alike I suspected an innocent man had died, but I do not know the details. That was the end of it for a time.
The eve before I was ready to depart with Chris back to Jinja I was lying in my bed waiting for my evening allotment of rice and beans, when Stephen entered the room shaking with fright and sweat had beaded up on his forehead. It glowed blue under the artificial light. “The murderers are serious now!” He shouted “They are going to cut my neck!” referring to an incident where the six of us had to sleep in one room with the windows shut on a hot night because Stephen was afraid to have his throat slit sleeping next to the window. I assured him that night there was more danger inside the room than out, and eventually I was forced to open the window myself, which he shut once I was asleep. I put my hand on Him and prayed for his protection and the removal of his fear. He felt better he said. I figured him being the youngest and well proven to be the most excitable of the crowd to be jumping at shadows.
 But when I exited the dorm I saw all the men talking loudly in their native languages and with that tone of fear in their voices. The murderers had slit the throat of a farmer man in daylight while he had gone to milk his cow in the morning. And later that day they tried to kill another man who had escaped and reported that it was not one murderer, but five. Chris later told me that a threatening note had been left in Mwera stating that, as Chris put it later, “We are really going to get you now... or something like that.” I stepped out onto the concrete patio and drew closer to Joseph, expecting him, due to his stillness in the commotion, to be more levelheaded. Then I saw the blueness to his skin. He told me of a dream where he had been chased by a man with a panga out of the fields. He had run to the compound and the man was attacked by a great snake that Joseph had passed by freely. This was enough for me.
I did not figure a murderer to attack a farm of ten men, but fear would, so I entered the room again to see Emma, Stephen and Tony. “If you think the situation is serious enough, we can take watch tonight,” I said.  Three yes's came from bobbing heads, and I drew on the board the watch terms - 10:00 – 12:00 first watch.  It was Tony and I. Twelve to two - Stephen and Emma, the inseparable duo, two to four - Joseph and I, though I was never awakened since we had other men come to stay in our bunks and they kept all but poor Tony from double shifts. We brought in from the garden shed all the pangas (teardrop shaped machetes).  The plan was to have two men armed with pangas watch in the dark, and walk anyone to the bathroom that got up at night. It was decided later that if a wave of attackers came, we would quietly wake the men each with his own panga, wait for the attacker to come to the door or window and then we would charge, hacking them to bits. It is just as laughable to me now as it was then. We played riddle games during and after lunch. This did wonders for the nerves. Emma started with something like this “I am born in cold water, I die in hot... something about eyes... I am so delicious.” It was guessed at for a while then Joseph, I do believe, answered “a frog” and his share of high fives was distributed. I went to the board and wrote from memory “I have no wings, yet I fly, I have no eyes, yet I cry.” They puzzled over the riddle for a while and never got it and so I was pleased and wrote another, “Never thirsty, always drinking, clad in mail, never clinking.” To this Stephen, who has a gift for riddles, answered correctly on the first try before I was finished writing; so I had to do another, “a chest without hinges, key or a lid, but inside golden treasure is hid.” Then Emma had a riddle. “I have skin, flesh and bone. I am so delicious. What am I?” This had me and the rest of us, and we needed to write the riddles on the board and number them, so we did not get mixed up as we almost did when the answer to the golden treasure riddle was given for Emma’s skin, flesh, and bone riddle. I was decided that we would think on the riddles over night during our various watches to pass time.
For the devotional we all prayed sincerely against the murder of innocents and the dark powers at work. Emma earlier that day had gone to another community meeting and the community, seeing that he was the only one there with a piece of paper and pen, made him village secretary. A tax was taken from all the residents of two hundred shillings for buying a set of flashlights for a community watch. The money and responsibility were given to Emma and he brought it back to the farm that night. I phoned Chris and asked to stay a few more nights. He said he would be in Kampala on Saturday for a radio show he was advocating Farming God's Way on and I could meet him in Kampala then.
The men went to bed and Tony put on all dark clothes, including a black plastic hoodie. He drew the hood stings till only a beady pair of white eyes shone from a black hole. He climbed under the table and crouched with his panga at the ready and I understood it was all business to him and my hopes of humorous conversation were crushed. So I sat in the corner eating groundnuts as they call them. We call them peanuts. I almost fell asleep, but the one thousand shilling tax for sleepers kept my eyes at half-mast. The only thing that happened of note other than the relief of sleep was when I thought to myself of the scene in Signs, when the alien in the bush at the Spanish children’s birthday video walks in front of the window and glances at the screaming children. I imagined a man with the same Sasquatch gate and momentary glance going past the front glass door. At that moment a wild dog, starting in the same corner as I was imaging, moved past, giving that same casual glance inside and disappearing just as quickly, leaving me just a little bit paler that I was. God has a pretty good sense of humor. Time was up and I woke Emma and Stephen and I fell asleep.
I woke the next day, everything was alright. We adjusted the night watch and Chris phoned to let me know that I could not stay till Saturday. He needed me the next day to work at Amazima, Katie Davis’s orphanage, and to get ready. I said my goodbyes, gave hugs and loaded my things in Chris's jeep. Chris stayed to give back test results to the students and to teach a lesson, during which it started to rain. Remembering last time we dropped the lesson and got in the jeep to leave before the road got muddy. No such luck. Already the tires spun and he went nowhere but down. Then all the students ran down through the torrent and lined up on the front of the jeep. They shoved and off we went. We turned around in the grass and jumped out the gate onto the muddy road. We slid only a little to the right and to the left and we were off. I don’t know any more about the witch murders or how the students were the next few nights. I will let you know if anything happens. My first meal away from rice and beans was a hamburger, and that was a mistake.
 
Spiritual Warfare
There have been reports of a spike in murders all across Uganda. Massese has had several and the north, where Tony and Joseph were from, has seen a lot more violence lately. This is Satan’s forces moving in. We as Christians are co-workers with God through our prayers and petitions. It is no exaggeration to say that you are a bigger part of this ministry than I am. I ask that you pray that the Lord of hosts would send his forces here to combat and take back ground from under the enemy’s feet.
Psalms 91: 3-8
Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked. “
In Christ,
David Greene

No comments:

Post a Comment