Saturday, October 20, 2012

Week 6

Well, I'm back in Jinja with Chris, Jane, Andrew, Tugume, Kenny, Albert, Isaiah,
Ezra, and Anna Sperling, Feonna, Jethro, and Chelsea Novakowski. The boys at the farm are doing well. They kept watch at nights until the murderers, all five of them, had been brought to bush justice. Not so good, but better than it was.
 
I have resumed my various ministries here in Jinja, after taking four solid days to write my various reports. I have taken the proclaimer (a small box with the audio Bible in Luganda) back to Village of Hope orphanage several times since I arrived on the fourth of September. The children enjoyed my visits and I have formed a strong relationship with a Christian lady named Mama Lois. I met her through my friend, Ann-Marie, an Australian missionary, here by her own money and strong will.  I tell you what, the Lord has showed me so, so many things in my time here. One of those things is the strength of women. There are so many female missionaries here. The only young male missionaries are Andrew Olson, Micah Burger and David Greene. Since I have been back, Chris and I have planted three well-watered gardens and three African farming style gardens, right next to them for comparison at Amazima Katie Davis's orphanage. We have been stuck in an amazing two hour traffic jam, where the main highway was rerouted to dirt bush roads, all while only zip ties held on the alternator and kept the belts from slipping off. This happened while coming back from Kampala. I have videos, these longer than five seconds.
 
Gloria
I was walking home one day and I came across a young girl outside a mud hut. “I am looking for esposer,” she said. After some what's, and say it again's, I found she wanted a sponsor for her school year. I told her I would think and pray on it. When I did, the Lord brought to mind “Give to everyone who asks of you.” I have purchased a year for Gloria and have gained a relationship.
 
Inward
I have spent a great amount of time journeying inward with the Lord. I am waking up at 5:30 now to go into a meditation, prayer and study time with God. It usually takes a few hours to get through the Celebration of Discipline, the Imitation of Christ, How Great is Our God, and my portion of the Bible, and a study in Ephesians, which I read through once a day. This has been fertilizer to my soul and I am experiencing God in new ways.
 
The Proclaimer
My plan was to take the proclaimer back to Village of Hope orphanage a few times a week until I leave, then I would give it to Mother Lois to run the listening group. I am immovably convinced this is God's will for this device; He has taken all the initiative of this ministry. As it happened on the second time I had been there this week, I told Mother Lois the plan of leaving the proclaimer in her care when I leave. The next time I brought the proclaimer I found I could not, not leave it... it is a new thing in my relationship with God, I can’t describe it. We will just call it a still, small voice. I obeyed and left it under Mother Lois's care, giving her the instructions and teaching her how to use it. After the listening group finished Revelation, we started on that day in Matthew, chapter one.  When I returned the following day, the entranced group was well into the book of John.
 
Good Friends and Beef Jerky
Andrew Olson and I have made some beef jerky.  The crew of Chelsea, Andrew, Micah, Ann-Marie, Joyce, and Melissa, me, as well as a new guy from Japan named Shitoshi, had a fun movie night. We played Dutch blitz, ate all the chocolates we could, and tried to eat wafers off our foreheads without hands, and watched Machine Gun Preacher.
 
Discipling Ministry
I have been praying that God would give me a young man around my age to disciple in Christ and give a skill to. Ask and you shall receive. There I was with Chelsea, Andrew, Micah, Ann-Marie and her two friends from Holland, Joyce and Melissa. We were playing Dutch Blitz, a Dutch card game, and Ann-Marie tells me of a group of young Christian men she spends nearly every day with. She said they were Farming God’s Way. She wanted me to meet them, so I did and discovered they were not Farming Gods Way. I offered to teach them and put in a well-watered garden with the boys. They agreed and plans were made to join on Saturday. Saturday came and I, with my FGW manual, went to the boys: Elvis, David, Eddy and Farook Zema. The men work hard, to high standards and are smarter than I am. They have proved it. I have been back several times since this Saturday.  They want me to teach them how to share the Gospel.
 
In Christ,
 
David Greene

No comments:

Post a Comment