Friday, November 16, 2012

Week 10

Week 10                                                                                                          November 15, 2001

I took Eddy, David and Elvis, the boys I am discipling, to go camping on Kira Higland Island. I knew the boys would not have sleeping bags or a tarp, so I borrowed a tarp from Chris, and decided not to bring my own sleeping bag. We arrived late to the island and so we were rounded on by the island population’s chair person, who was adamant that "munzungus" or white people don't sleep in the woods for fun. He was convinced that we were not who we said we were. He imposed that a sum of money must be given for protection and was very rude to the boys, while still being quite scared to look me in the eyes. But eventually we got out of it and got to set up our camp. The boys stated over and over they could not believe they were in the middle of a lake, nor had they ever been camping. We had a great night, playing cards, telling stories, and sheltering from a thunderstorm. You can’t beat a first camping experience like that.
I just turned down a Ugandan girl who has been coming to Chris's house to find me to ask me to marry her. I have been back to the Sifa house, but not to prison this week or to the orphanage. This week has been mostly Christian study and inward disciplines. I have finished reading the Adventures of Tom Sawyer to the kids. Now we are a good portion into 20,000 Leagues under the Sea. I have explored the railroad track from town to Chris's house, a few hours’ walk, several times. I have found walking to be an excellent ministry opportunity, not to mention, it was the preferred method Jesus used. You get those interesting run-ins.
Like at village of hope I got to know two boys, Sam and Paul, very well and shared the gospel with them. And whilst I was walking in Massese 3, I met a woman called Julia. After some talk I discovered that she was their mother, but too poor to support them. We had a Bible study at their house in Deneda or Massese 2 and she showed me their pictures in her album. Then it came, the inevitable question, "Can I have money?" Do you give money and hurt the oppressed by just giving, expanding an already prevalent dependency syndrome on white people, NGOs (Non-government Organizations) and the government? What could this woman do for money? Then I thought of the terrain ropes I need to make for my garden in Black Mountain. The ropes require bottle caps to make measured markers and we just don’t have too many bottle caps at home, unless we lived near a Cracker Barrel, so I proposed to her that I would pay 50 shillings per bottle cap. She could collect the caps, ending the deal at 400, that would give her the amount she had requested to pay her hospital bills. Whether her story is true or not, the need is real and we are to "Give to everyone who asks of you." Within a few hours the lady had all that I wanted and the deed was done. I invited her to CHE, but we did not have a meeting today, so I never saw her. 

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the Earth."
Praying for you all,
 In Christ,

David Greene
 

No comments:

Post a Comment