Monday, December 12, 2011

The love God has given me for the people of South Sudan


December 12, 2011
During my time at A-B Tech I was given a writing assignment about secession. It was an open subject,and South Sudan having just seceded from Sudan after a relative total of 50 years of civil wars on July 9th, 2011, I decided would be the most interesting and relevant. God used this time to inform me of the lives of the South Sudanese. Four million people were displaced, two million died and nine million total remain, half of which only survive because of US aid packets. Yet they sit on some of the most fertile soil in Sub-Saharan Africa. All the produce sold in the public markets is imported. The new government is doing well though. They have a finance ministry that is increasing the country’s wealth and a strong leader in Salva Kiir Mayardit, the ex-leader of the SPLA Sudan Peoples' Liberation Army.
Although they have a fine and growing government around the capital and main cities, most of the people on South Sudan have no concept of government, themselves having never met each other. Guerrilla forces such as the LRA, Lords Resistance Army, run amuck in the bush. They kill, rape, and take what they want from the villagers. God used this to illuminate the troubles of the world to me. My heart goes out to them in Christ. The nation is split between three religions. The civil war was fought with the Islamic controlled north, over their neglect of taking care of the people of the south. The north took all national revenues and put it towards building up the nation’s capital of Khartoum. When the split happened as a result of the 2005 peace agreement the north lost the bulk of their oil wells, which were located in the south.  However, the south has no way of exporting the oil and the north does. So for the moment both sides are biting their tongues and are hopefully going to work together. But history may repeat its self once more and war may start again.

-Please let me know if any information is incorrect.

Philippians 1: The end of 18, - 19 “Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, 19 for I know that through your prayers and the help that has been given to me by the spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.” 

In Christ,

David Greene

No comments:

Post a Comment